Saturday, February 5, 2011
New advances on the barks
I am so happy to share with you these images of the advances of the Series of tapestries for Burlington Art Centre exhibit.
This tapestry started a couple of blogs away. Now I would like to share a bit about my process for producing a tapestry.
FRirst I select the image, which in this case is a picture I took from a detail of a bark from a maple tree walking along a train near Oakville, in one of the trails that lead to Crawford Lake in Ontario. I do not use any kind of photoshop or arrangements for the photography, yet in this case I just pushed a little bit higher the contrast and look how the colours ended up to be!
Then I decide the format of the warp, which in this case I set half of my frame loom, because the other half I started already an image of the Gatineau hills you will get to see later in the blog.
The image then I draw lines to divide it and to make it easier to follow up in the cartoon I usually set at the back of the warp.
Here you can see an image of the sketched photograph, and the divided secttion I am showing already woven into the warp.
The fascinating thing about these kinds of projects is that you can play around with the dozens of combinations of different coloured yarns. Visually, just like in the impressionist paintings, the eye tends to fill the concept and the idea to blend in the colours and fuse them into many different hues.
Eventhough I am a bit behind my schedule, I am almost half way through the full tapestry.
Until next blogging!